Friday, July 20, 2018

Forgotten Diagnosis 


When asked to share a list of my diagnoses, I put migraines, allergies, sinuses, mitral valve prolapse, asthma, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, Gastrointestinal reflux disease, hiatal hernia, and my new one that I cannot think of at the moment. Oh, yeah, brain fog is part of many of these diseases, but not really a diagnosis, Ménière’s diesse, psoriasis... I always forget to put depression, anxiety and panic attacks. 

These can be just as debilitating as MD and can often exacerbate symptoms in many illnesses. There is a fine line between cause and effect. It is important that we control the mental health so that our health doesn’t get worse. 

Medication is one way to control it and often a first step in doing so. I remember when my doctor put me on Prozac it was like a fog lifted and I could see colors again. It was a wonderful feeling. I don’t even remember how old I was when I lost my colors, but I was.a teen. I was in my 20’s when I got them back.

My first panic attack happened when I was on my way home from work (in my 20’s, before Prozac). I didn’t recognize my surroundings. I ping-ponged back and forth on Morse Road a block to two block from my home, until the panic lifted and I recognized my surroundings again. 

I learned how to work through a panic attack that year. Mostly, by recognizing the increased heart rate and confusion and by taking slow deep breaths. I continued driving in the direction I started having faith that I knew where I was headed. Occasionally, when traveling to unexpected places I’d stop and ask for directions. This worked for me, since my panic revolves around getting lost. And getting the heart rate and breathing in check helped alleviate the symptoms of the panic attack.


Anxiety goes hand in hand with panic attacks and depression. It has often been harder for me to manage than a panic attack, because I don’t always recognize when it begins. Often the first sign that I notice is the pain in my gut that just won’t go away. The nervousness, the inability to sleep, the worry are all just par for the course when diagnosed with chronic illnesses, so I don’t pay attention, until the pain in my gut. Again being put on medication (Zoloft) allowed that niggling feel deep in my core to relax. 

Learning to control anxiety is about the same as controlling the panic attacks. Deep breaths, being mindful of the here and now, not worrying about the future. 


Depression is slightly different in that I  don’t always have a tangible reason or symptoms to alert me to it. It makes me apathetic to the good things. It takes away the color and the fun, but it’s a slow process that I often miss. 

I try to smile and laugh to help release endorphins to the brain to trick it into thinking it’s happy. I try to keep active by doing things I enjoy. 

Exercise at the moment is difficult because of the Ménière’s. Even walking is hard and I’m unwilling to do it on my own in case an attack happens. So I save my active times for when I have someone with me. I try to do some exercises in bed just to get my blood flowing. But exercise is one of the best ways to overcome depression and I intend to figure out some other ways I can incorporate it into my life. 

I am going to be mindful to start including these 3 things in my list of diagnoses. Find what works for you and remember there is no shame in asking for help, because these are just chemical reactions to real life situations and sometimes we need a little help whether with medication or through therapy. I hope you are all spin free.

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment