Friday, March 2, 2018

Why I Talk About My Illnesses 

I might make people uncomfortable by talking about my health. I mean who wants to hear about Lichen Sclerosis, Ménière’s Disease, Mitral-Valve Prolapse, Asthma, Migraines, Endometriosis Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia. 

Today I was reminded why it is important to not silently suffer. A friend who is suffering from Vertigo needed to talk. I hope I offered some support and ideas of how to cope with the terrible symptoms she has endured for years. 

So I will continue to talk about my illnesses and hopefully by doing so I can offer support to others or make them feel like they are not alone. Even though many of these diseases are considered rare there are others who understand. 

        My new hairdo on Think Pink Day (Wear pink on the first of every month to support breast cancer warriors. Started by my friend many years ago.)

Sometimes even people who should understand do not. Like my disability lawyer who dropped my case before I went to court. Fortunately I went anyway and let the courts expert testify. Today I am on disability due to the Ménière’s and the fact that the judges expert knew how debilitating this disease is.

Though my disability is hidden, it doesn’t make it any less real than a person in a wheelchair. The only difference is that I and others like me have good days and bad days. The good days are like an oasis in the midst of the desert or as with Ménière’s the eye of the storm. 

Even though people may get tired of hearing about my illnesses and may even judge me... I will not be silenced. And it’s for those who may need to hear it. Hey, it might even be you someday that may need support, though I hope not. I will be there for you no matter how you treated or judged me. 

This is my gift... to speak out about things that I experience. That includes my successes and my problems. 

My next blog will be more upbeat, I hope, because I am going to NASCAR! Noise is a trigger for me now, so praying that I can enjoy the experience and not teach my husband the horrors of Ménière’s.

Have a spin free weekend.

Love, Peace and Light!

Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment