Sunday, September 23, 2018

Understanding 

Many of you know I talk a lot. (I want to write a lot as one word, but I know better. Maybe someday it’ll make it into the dictionary.) I often overshare. I have no secrets which in my book isn’t a bad thing. 

Reposting this pick, because I have balance issues and yet was able to hold the pose long enough for the picture

 Sometimes I speak to educate others. It’s hard to believe in this day and age of the internet that people still don’t understand invisible disabilities. So, I talk about mine. Not for sympathy, but in the hopes that they may learn and hopefully be more understanding of the next person the meet with an invisible disability.

We are all different and have our own cross to bare. Be slow to judge others. Even if you don’t believe them, keep your doubts to yourself. Ask them about it. Make yourself aware. Be a friend. 

Yes, it makes me angry when people say ignorant things like... “Why haven’t you had problems before?” The simple truth is I have. I am just as surprised that I had such a long remission. I’ve lived with this for about 20 years. I am now re-learning to live with it. 

This time around I am going to live my life. The last time, I ended up in bed, only coming out to visit family once in awhile. I will listen to my body and rest when I need to, but I am going to keep camping, cruising, and enjoying life.

That doesn’t mean that I’m not struggling. I may not even exhibit any outward signs of vertigo or dizziness. My balance is atrocious and I stumbled & tip all the time. For some reason most people don’t notice or choose to ignore it. 

I had a drop attack at a basketball game and a friend said she thought my feet got tangled. I was being extra careful and know my feet were solidly under me when I suddenly went down. I don’t know if this attack was Ménière’s related, because I have had them since I was 12 years old. This is something I will discuss with my ENT when I finally see her on October 1. 

I am watching The Greastest Showman. Besides being highly entertaining it shows people who are different. It also shows they have feelings like all of us. Just like the characters in the movie people with disabilities have feelings too. Most would rather you ask them about the disability instead of whispering and pointing at them. Why should people with invisible disabilities being any different?

When someone says they are disabled don’t dismiss it. Ask them questions. Some diseases have good days and they s is probably when you see them. I know people who need a wheelchair one day, but walk just fine the next. So, before discounting them, learn about them and there issues.

Understanding is all anyone asks. 

I hope you are spin free.

Love, Peace and Light! Rita


PS. I started out to write about something far different, but I guess now isn’t the time. The subject is important though and on my mind. #WhyIDidntReport #metoo

No comments:

Post a Comment