Friday, September 21, 2018

Balance Awareness Week Wraps Up

Wow, what an exciting week. I hope I gave you all a decent overview of Vestibular Diseases. Click here for more information. Despite having lots of balance issues myself, I was able to get out and about and even join in on the fun that my support group, Ménière’s Worldwide, set up for this week. 

We had to take our picture with a flamingo or stand on one leg like a flamingo. I managed both. Ralph snapped this before I tipped.Yes, I know this is the Hooters Owl.

We did other challenges like collecting 10 things that began with the letter B. We also had a flossing challenge. I did attempt it, though very bad at it. Here it is if you want to watch... Rita’s Flossing Attempt

That’s what I love about our group. We have fun, disseminate information and support each other in our disease and in our successes. We are a bit politically incorrect, without stepping over the line of discrimination, politics and religion. Those are taboo. If you want to join Ménière’s Worldwide click on the name. 

Sometimes it’s easy to lost in the quagmire of the disease or finding a diagnosis. It is important to have fun. Learn to laugh at yourself. Learn as much about your disease as you can, because doctors do not always know the answers. Get out even if you feel like staying in bed. Take time out when you need, but do not stop living. 

I have a cane that I use when I’m off balance. I can see a day that a walker or wheelchair might be necessary at times. Since I don’t intend to stop living. I will utilize whatever I need to maintain a quality of life.

I use blue light filtering glasses because lights can trigger my symptoms. 

I have a placard so I can park closer to buildings, since walking can be an issue. I don’t drive when I’m dizzy or having vertigo, but I am often a passenger. 

I carry my rescue meds when I’m out. I have a medical alert bracelet if I am by myself when an attack happens. I have only had full blown attacks upon waking, so I’m unlikely to have one out. When I have mini spins, I don’t drive. But with the unpredictability of Ménière’s, I thought the bracelet with Ralph’s number would be a good idea.

Take whatever steps you need to... but enjoy life.


I hope you are spin free.

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment