Monday, October 22, 2018

Anxiety

Anxiety is an inttense, excessive, and persistent worry and fear about everyday situations. It doesn’t always make sense and anything can trigger an anxiety attack or panic attack.


You may experience a fast heart rate, rapid breathing, sweating, and feeling tired. Sometimes it’s just an obsessive pervasive thought that won’t let go. 

Every little thing that you perceive that you did wrong, every thought and action, slights real or imagined are magnified until you cannot function. Sometimes a panic attack is the result, other times is not as clear cut. 

There are things you can do to deal with anxiety. Meditation, deep breaths, mindfulness, avoiding situations that cause stress. These work well if you recognize the symptoms. 

Sometimes, it sneaks in and it’s much more difficult to use coping skills to get through it. At these times some anti-anxiety medication help. Especially, when it’s big brother moves in too. I am talking about depression. 

For me they often go hand in hand. At these times I may say and do things I would never do when you are healthy. Especially when the source of my anxiety is a person. 

Unfortunately, my mind would like to kill them off. Fortunately, I am a writer and I can do so vicariously.

 “Killing them off verbally is just a metaphor for cutting off negativie people from your life.

Eliminating negativity from your life is good. Often it’s not possible. So, finding new coping mechanisms is good. Keep busy, limit their involvement in your life. Meditation and relaxation techniques are very helpful. There are tons of YouTube Videos to assist you. 

The main thing I do is concentrate on my breathing. Breathe slowly in through my nose and out through my mouth. If my mind wonders (and it does often) I just start thinking about breathing in and out. To help me sleep I do a relaxation technique of tensing and relaxing starting with my toes and ending with my head. 

Anxiety has slipped up on me and I am having difficulty letting it go. I will continue to apply my techniques, but may have to ask for a bit more assistance. It’s time to get my Zen on. 

I hope this helps someone. And I hope you are spin free.

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment