Monday, September 10, 2018

Vestibular Disorders

This is balance awareness week and I’m going to take some time discussing them. Since I have Ménière’s Disease this is the one that I speak about the most, but there are other types of inner ear dysfunctions. Too many for us to discuss in detail during the week. I have found some great information at vestibular.org

The most common vestibular disorders include benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis, Ménière’s disease, and secondary endolymphatic hydrops. There are other things that account for dizziness including acoustic neuroma, migraine-associated vertigo, and mal de débarquement. Also complications from aging, autoimmune disorders, and allergies can cause vestibular issues.

Many of these present similar symptoms making it difficult to diagnose. Or more often than not there may be overlap between the types of vestibular issues and there causes. For instance I have migraines, an autoimmune disease and allergies which can exacerbate or contribute to my Ménière’s symptoms. 

During this week I will try to cover some of the basic symptoms of each disorder. You will find there is a lot of overlap.

No comments:

Post a Comment