Monday, July 22, 2019

World Brain Day

This morning I listened to a webinar on migraines on World Brain Day. Migraines are a brain disorder. The old thought was that they were a blood vessel problem.  I think that’s what they said. Maybe something about capillaries. 


It’s up to s to be our own advocates. Many of us with invisible disabilities already know that. Many of us know more about our diseases than our doctors. Even though migraine is one of the most common health concerns, it is also, not researched as much as other things.

Our doctors need to educate themselves and keep up on the latest treatments. As with many other chronic illnesses, migraines present differently for each person. One of the speakers spoke of a functional migraine, where you can still do things. This validated mine, because I often can still function, while other times I just want to curl up in bed in a dark, quiet room.

They spoke of the new class of drugs for migraine prevention as antibodies. When I looked it up, one of the treatments is Aimovig. Here is the article I found. It’s expensive, but would be worth it to have these daily migraines gone.

As a sufferer of migraines which have been daily lately, I hope this treatment works. I once had a three month month migraine that neurontin took away, unfortunately it made me sick. Hopefully, I will find some relief. I hope everyone finds relief. I know people are having success on  amitriptyline, and realize that may be the first option my doctor will want to try. Actually the triptan I take at the onset of a migraine was the first step, but it would get expensive if I took a one every time I have a migraine, which has been daily, so maybe in the long run trying the antibodies will be the way to go.

I hope you are spin free.

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment