Monday, April 8, 2019

Social Media

It is Lent and many of my friends have given up Social Media until Easter. I have not and probably won’t until everyone stops using them.

Why? My main reason is that it keeps me connected to family and friends. If you are my Facebook friend then you either don’t have Facebook or aren’t important to me. I say that a bit tongue in cheek, because many of my friends on Facebook, I have never met. Yet I have followed their lives and feel as close to them as if they are a member of my family.

Also, I connected with my husband through Facebook. We knew each other as kids, so when I joined Facebook I friended people that I remembered. About 6 months after my second husband died, I dreamed about Ralph kissing me. I messaged him through messenger. He told me to go back to sleep if I wanted to know how it ended. This made me laugh and I knew that we belonged together, even if it did take him a bit longer to realize it. We have been married two years this past February.

Still I might’ve been able to give up Facebook, until last year... what changed last year? I found a support group on Facebook for Meniere’s. This group understands what I am going through unlike anyone else. You really have to live it to understand that I put on a good front. Even on days I feel great, I still have balance issues. This group gets me and many have my warped sense of humor.

Still some people are okay without Social Media and that is good for them. Socializing the old fashioned way is probably the best thing for all of us. I do some of it myself. But there are days when I am unable to “people” for one reason or another and Facebook keeps me connected. I am not saying you should give up living for social media, there should be a balance. Though chronically ill people can connect through it.

Unfortunately, there are people who like to be negative and troll others to belittle them. I am not talking about healthy discussions, because hearing from both sides of issues is important. I am taking about the name callers and the holier than thou who won’t even entertain a polite discussion without saying you are going to hell. These people should leave social media. Bullying should not be tolerated. There are all kinds of bullying and sometimes a person doesn’t have to be mentioned to bully them.

So, I applaud those who leave social media behind even for Lent. If you are happier without it, then by all means don’t come back. If you are happier without it ask yourself why? We’re you being bullied? Do you have more time for the ones who really matter? Do you have more time to read, take a walk, create something? If so, maybe social media isn’t for you!

As for me, I will keep Facebook until there is a way to keep in touch with my many friends and family from all over the world. I have been trying out an alternative venue called MeWe.. Join me there while they work out the kinks.

I hope you are spin free!

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment