Tuesday, April 2, 2019

National Poetry Month



April is National Poetry Month. Read or write a poem each day. My friend, Elizabeth Christy, is giving poetry prompts. Though I used her prompt, I wrote a vignette. If you want to try your hand at it the prompt is to set your story in a waiting room and use these words: stroke, empty, rain, mother, space, above, laugh.  P.S. Thanks Elizabeth for getting me going!

A Moment in Time

At the stroke of five o’clock in one of the salon chairs mother glanced at her watch wondering, I am sure, if she would get home in time to cook dinner before her hubby got home from work. Nearby her daughter sat patiently waiting for the stylist to dry her already new haircut. I waited in anticipation of my own shampoo, cut and style, while I debated if I should add a color to it.

Outside the rain kept tempo with my heartbeat or maybe my heart beat to the sound of the rain. This space was almost empty now, whereas earlier it had been teaming with life. The stylists seemed to be on a mission to get everyone out the door by six. 

A stylist glanced my way and then to the clock above my head. She sighed rather loudly. I know I’d arrived without an appointment, but the sign said “Walk-ins Welcome”. I wondered if I should leave or wait to get my shaggy mess tamed? At last the mother and daughter stood at the counter to pay. They looked beautiful with their new doos. I took one last glance at the scene and slipped out the door into the rain, knowing that the stylists were too tired to make me beautiful too. I gave a little laugh as I thought, “They’d have to be fresh in order to pull that trick off.”

Rita L Smith

2019

I hope you are spin free!

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment