Friday, January 18, 2019

Living Despite Meniere’s



I think living with a debilitating disease is often about timing. I know I feel better during the day than the evenings. So if I want to do anything it’s best to plan daytime activities.

Now that’s easier said than done, since most of my friends have jobs. It makes socializing harder, but not impossible. I just need to make sure I have a ride if I do evening activities. That’s what husband’s are for...

There are some days that I may have to cancel plans. It would be nice if my disease was predictable, but it’s not. If it’s frustrating for others, think about how I feel. I do not like being housebound. Not being able to drive is difficult. Even on good days I have to figure out how bad the brain fog is affecting me. Today it’s not so bad, but I still began to cook my oatmeal without water.

Imagine if I am driving and I see a squirrel.  🐿  Okay, not really a squirrel, but anything that takes my focus off what I am doing. I could put others in danger as well as myself. So, I rarely drive anymore.

I am fortunate that my brother lives with me and can take me to appointments if my husband cannot. Oh and Uber and Lyft are viable ways to get around.

The days I get out and enjoy myself make it easier to cope with the bad days. Anxiety and Depression are part of life for me, but I continue on.

I have lost 15 lbs in 5 months, because I had to stop eating wheat 🌾 and cows 🐄 milk. It cuts out so much of my previous diet. Strangely enough, I am not constantly hungry since eliminating my food allergies. And I can still have meat, fruit and vegetables.

My husband gave me a Simply Fit Board for Christmas which is helping me get into shape and it also helps with my balance. On bad days I cannot do it at all. It’s kind of funny watching me try to do the twist or even stay of the board. On good days and even my first time on it, I have no problems at all. I think because my brain is already working to keep me upright.

As I get healthier, I am feeling better. Being healthy is not a cure, but it does benefit most of what ails me. For instance, my knee isn’t causing me as much pain since dropping 15 pounds.
I refuse to give in to this disease, but I know there are days that I must. It’s all about balance and realizing that not everything is possible.

I hope you are spin free!

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment