Friday, March 22, 2019

To Be or Not To Be Gluten-free



For some it’s a choice. For others like me it isn’t a choice. Though to my knowledge gluten isn’t my problem, I can’t have it due to my wheat allergy. I am also allergic to cows milk, so I am doubly whammied.

What is it like to be allergic to wheat or gluten? Dining out is harder. Some restaurants have gluten free menus, while others do not. For some they cannot even have the contamination of wheat (gluten). I am fortunate that a slight contamination does not bother me. I can still partake in the blood of Christ during communion. For me the slight contamination of drinking wine after others who have had wheat does not cause any adverse reactions.

If you are allergic there is a constant vigilance on your part to make sure what you’re eating is gluten free. People don’t even realize that something as benign as a seasoning packet might contain wheat. If your like me there will only be minor consequences, but others will get deathly ill. One would hope that others would be more conscientious when preparing food for their family, but that is not always the case.

Why was I diagnosed with food allergies? I was vomiting frequently and my reflux was crazy. So, my gastrointestinalogist sent me for blood tests. It was a simple blood draw and the lab tested me for the most common allergies.


  1. Cow’s Milk 
  2. Eggs
  3. Tree Nuts: (Brazil Nuts, Almonds, Cashews, Macadamia Nuts, Pustachios, Pine Nuts and Walnuts)
  4. Peanuts
  5. Shellfish
  6. Wheat
  7. Soy
  8. Fish
Once I cut out my food allergies which included most of the tree nuts, peanuts, sesame seeds, shrimp and egg whites, I noticed other symptoms, because they went away. For instance I was having a different type of vertigo than my normal Ménière’s Vertigo. Also, I had constipation and  diarrhea for most of my life... all that stopped when I eliminated my allergens. 

Upon learning that most were just food sensitivities, I could add them back in. Cow’s milk and wheat, however, are allergies that I notice fairly quickly after ingesting. Fortunately, they just cause me stomach pain, reflux and  diarrhea. I avoid them, but occasionally I do get some accidentally or because I was not diligent in asking the ingredients or I am craving a sweet. I am glad my allergies are not severe enough to cause me to go into anaphylaxis. 

Just not having the extra vertigo has been enough to keep me off the wheat and dairy. I miss having a cake or a milkshake, but have found alternatives. My nearest grocery store has a big gluten-free section and even offer vegan cheese. 

The bottom line is that I feel better and I have lost about 15 pounds. Who knew allergies were the cause of my IBS? If you have that and/or reflux, have your doctor check you for food allergies. 

I hope you are spin free!

Love, Peace and Light! Rita


No comments:

Post a Comment