Thursday, February 28, 2019

Rare Disease Day

First I want to send hugs to all who have a rare disease. I wrote this on my Facebook timeline, but need to share with you.



Meniere’s Disease is a rare disease, so much so that doctors don’t know what causes it or how to cure it.  It is characterized by vertigo, dizziness, tinnitus, ear fullness, drop attacks I and deafness.

It is unpredictable with good days and bad days. I look normal even on not so good days. Though you may notice that I tip or stumble or walk like I’m drunk. I have more of these days then even the people closest to me realizes.

On my not so good days, when my ears are full and the tinnitus is loud, my brain feels cloudy. I have trouble concentrating, I carry on especially for fun things. Sometimes I let people know how I feel, just in case it turns into a full vertigo attack.

I have been fortunate not to have had a vertigo attack in public. Mine are usually when I awaken.  I have had mini-spins (one or two rotations) in public, also, wavy walls or shifting floors.

Even on good days the tinnitus is present as are the balance issues. I try to limit my salt intake, which helps with the loudness of tinnitus. It doesn’t seem to affect the vertigo.

As I learn my new normal, I try to enjoy every minute that I can. I have had this disease since before my diagnosis in 2000. Then I had frequent bouts of vertigo and slam attacks. I went into remission around 2012, but came out of remission at Disneyland in 2017. So now I am learning about it again.

My last full vertigo attack was in May of 2018. My diuretic seems to be keeping even the mini vertigo attacks at bay, though occasionally I feel as if my head  went on a quick trip around the room. I have coping mechanisms when out having fun... including ear plugs for hyperacusis, blue light filtering glasses and I rarely do things on my own, unless I am having a really good day. Even then I am not far from home. One thing is certain is that I will survive.

I hope you are spin free.

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment