Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Downside of Meniere’s.

Last night we went to see Weezer. I rested all day, because my head was wonky. Yes, wonky is a technical term. It means my head was fuzzy, my ears were louder and my balance was off. My balance is usually off, but it was more so. I felt okay when we went to the concert. I didn’t bring my cane, but Ralph was with me. Believe me I held on tight. Since my husband doesn’t like holding hands, I consider it a win.

I may have felt drunk, but I am proud to say I remained upright. I wish I could say the same for the people in front of me. One girl almost fell twice going to her seat. I whispered to Ralph that she was worse than me. The difference being she was drunk and still drinking even before The Pixies took the stage. She left during the intermission between The Pixies and Weezer.

Here’s the downside of Meniere’s... My hearing dropped out during The Pixies performance causing everyone to sound like Chipmunks. This has happened to me before, but usually when I’ve been drinking. This distortion of sound was untimely. Before my hearing distorted my hyperacusis was bad enough to pull out my earplugs. Which I removed during the intermission. I didn’t need them for Weezer.

I made it to the restroom and back with only a little tilting. I am aware I probably appeared drunk to any casual observer. Someone said something to me as I stood in line, but I couldn’t hear her. She looked sympathetic, but probably thought I was drunk. Such is the life of Ménière’s.

The group with the drunk girl, minus her and her partner, returned. The guy sitting in front of me took a tumble  landing in the seats in front of him. Yes, he was drunk. I think what saved him from tumbling into the section below us was the fact that his leg got caught in between the seats. A Good Samaritan came down from the stands behind us and managed to lift the guy up and sit him back down. The guy sat in the same position for a few songs. I think he was scared to move, I can’t blame him. His girlfriend gave him back his drink. Probably good that she carried it.

This is my biggest fear when I go to venues like that. I am afraid of falling. Watching two non-meniere’s, albeit drunk, related people falling, hits home that shit happens and I should just enjoy myself. I am careful and hold onto things as I maneuver around.

I was able to enjoy the concert and could recognize the songs, even though it still sounded like chipmunks were singing. My hearing returned briefly for Rivers Cuomo’s solo. Then it went out again. Despite my hearing and the unplanned excitement, I loved Weezer. They are awesome.

I almost forgot... I wish people would have respect and leave their pot at home. I know it helps many people, but it gives me a migraine. YES, even secondhand smoke. Fortunately, I had my sumatriptan with me and it stopped the attack. Where are the drug sniffing dogs for concerts and such? Pot may be legal in Las Vegas, but not in public! Rant over!

My hearing is back to normal, even my tinnitus has quieted. I hope you are spin free.

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment